SAVE THE DATE
Conference organizer: ArtEZ University of the Arts, in collaboration with State of Fashion
Academic partners: London College of Fashion, Wageningen University & Research, and Radboud University Nijmegen
The ‘Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury’ will explore new definitions of ‘luxury’ against the backdrop of urgent environmental and social issues. Fashion is in direct need of more value-based critical thinking as well as design-driven research to thoroughly explore, disrupt, redefine and transform the system. During this two-day conference we will collectively investigate how to move towards a fashion reality that addresses ethics, inclusivity and responsible consumerism in a more engaged way. Design, imagination and aesthetics are essential to express these values and to envision a more ethical engagement with the material objects that surround our bodies. The ‘Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury’ will explore how we can transition to a more resilient future of fashion together.
Fashion Colloquium 2018
More than 30 international academics and creative practitioners will present their research on themes such as new materials, design for closed loops, aesthetic sustainability and emotional connectivity, redefining value systems, new business models and forms of organization, and the importance of agency in moving towards a more resilient future. We will collectively engage in in-depth discussions on how to develop innovative approaches that help to create systemic change. The Fashion Colloquium will host:
– lectures and panel discussions by keynote speakers;
– paper presentations by academics and practice-based researchers and designers;
– creative contributions such as performances, participatory panel discussions and other creative interventions.
The first confirmed keynote speakers are:
– Kristine Harper, researcher and lecturer at KEA Copenhagen School of Design and Technology | author of ‘Aesthetic Sustainability – Product Design and Sustainable Usage’ (2017)
– Oskar Metsavaht, founder and style director of Brazilian fashion brand Osklen | founder of Instituto-E, a non-profit organization based in Brazil that encourages sustainable human development, with projects including the development of socially and environmentally friendly fabrics
– Timotheus Vermeulen, Associate Professor in Media, Culture and Society at University of Oslo | founder of the arts and culture platform Notes on Metamodernism
– Otto von Busch, Associate Professor of Integrated Design, School of Design Strategies, Parsons, The New School | fashion artist, hacktivist, theorist and designer
– Pascale Gatzen, Head of the MA Fashion Design at ArtEZ University of the Arts | artist, educator and fashion designer | founder of the workers cooperative ‘friends of light’
– Orsola de Castro, founder and creative director of global movement Fashion Revolution | founder and designer upcycling fashion label From Somewhere | initiator Esthetica at London Fashion Week | creator Reclaim To Wear | associate lecturer at University of the Arts London
Opening State of Fashion 2018 I searching for the new luxury
In the late afternoon of May 31, participants of the Fashion Colloquium are invited to attend the opening of State of Fashion 2018 | searching for the new luxury. State of Fashion is a new four-yearly fashion event in Arnhem, the Netherlands. It is the first large-scale international public event that is entirely devoted to a resilient future for fashion. Its first edition will run from 1 June until 22 July 2018, and is curated by José Teunissen (Dean School of Design & Technology at the London College of Fashion and appraised curator, researcher and author). More information: https://stateoffashion.org/en/
More information on the Fashion Colloquium will soon be available on the website:http://fashioncolloquium.artez.nl/.
Registration opens on April 1.